Disposition of hepburn?

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Dec 12 18:27:16 CET 2009

Frank Bennett <biercenator at gmail dot com> wrote:

> I have posted for the deprecation of "heploc", but I am unsure what to
> do with "hepburn".  Were I to start the process again from scratch, I
> would file for alalc97 only, and there would be no "hepburn" subtag.
> However, "hepburn" potentially captures Japanese transliterations that
> do not conform to the ALA-LC tables, so I am a little unsure of the
> proper way forward.
>
> While deprecating this subtag outright is no problem for my own
> purposes, I am not sure whether that is the right thing to do.  I will
> be guided by advice from the list membership; if members feel that
> deprecation is appropriate in this case, I will be happy to file the
> papers.

I do not support the deprecation of 'hepburn' unless it is felt that no
Hepburn-transliterated Japanese should be taggable except for that which
uses the ALA-LC 1997 variant.  John's comment might be a good idea.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­