Request: Add retired tag "eml" to the IANA registry

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 11 23:07:53 CET 2009

On the one hand, while the denotations are now deemed null, someone may have used one of these ISO 639-3 IDs (before they were deprecated) with an assumed denotation that was not null. That is why that remain valid for use in applications of ISO 639-3.

On the other hand, they have not to date been valid for use in applications of BCP47 since they do not appear in the registry. We could apply a strict interpretation to say that we have no choice but to register them, though I'm not convinced we need to be bound by that interpretation. If the authors of our constitution had considered this scenario, they may well (and, I think, likely would) have chosen to explicitly leave out anything already deprecated at day 0.

IOW, I think we should feel free to choose whichever way we think makes best sense for users of BCP 47.

Peter