Request: Add retired tag "eml" to the IANA registry

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Dec 11 19:17:56 CET 2009

Phillips, Addison scripsit:

> 1. Although I sincerely hope that retired codes are reserved forever,
> I'm not sure what happens with them. If ISO 639 can recycle the retired
> ones, that would create problems and we should not register the retired
> items so that they can eventually be used for something useful.

They are definitely reserved forever: see http://sil.org/iso639-3/changes.asp ,
which says:  "When a code element is retired, the identifier for that
code element shall not be reassigned. Retired code elements remain part
of the code set and retain their identifier and denotation. Continued
use in existing data or implementations remains a valid application of
this standard."

> The retired codes appear to be "retired for a reason". Future
> retirements will result in deprecations in the registry. I found the
> same list John Cowan did and, if ISO 639's policy is never to reuse
> these items, then I think we should register the deprecated items in
> the interest of being complete.

I agree.

--
There is no real going back.  Though I          John Cowan
may come to the Shire, it will not seem         cowan at ccil.org
the same; for I shall not be the same.          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
I am wounded with knife, sting, and tooth,
and a long burden.  Where shall I find rest?           --Frodo