Request: Add retired tag "eml" to the IANA registry

Phillips, Addison addison at amazon.com
Fri Dec 11 06:45:26 CET 2009

Hello Michael,

There are two problems with your request:

1. You cannot request a grandfathered subtag. That category exists for subtags already extant in the old RFC 3066 registry at the time RFC 4646 came into being. The list is fixed in a number of difficult-to-undo ways. You can request a primary language subtag based on ISO 639-3 RA action (this isn't one) or a longer-than-three-letter code to replace 'eml' (this isn't what you're looking for).

My reasoning is that 2009-01-16 predates RFC 5646, which incorporated ISO 639-3 into the registry. 'eml' could not have been registered under RFC 4646. Since the code should not have been used at any time as a valid primary language subtag and since ISO 639-3 has a reasonably large number of "retired" codes, it probably would be a bad idea to take this particular one in. There doesn't seem to be a basis in the RFC for doing so.

2. I don't believe that your requested Preferred-Value is valid. Each Preferred-Value must contain exactly one subtag and there can be only one P-V field per record. It is permissible to omit the Preferred-Value. You could include a Comments field explaining preferred values, as deprecation of a record is permitted without having a single preferred mapping. For example, see region subtag YU:

%%
Type: region
Subtag: YU
Added: 2005-10-16