A stake in the ground

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Dec 6 21:42:46 CET 2009

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> >In my view, none of the candidates for change to macrolanguage status
> >should be usable as prefixes in extlang records.
>
> Is that your view:
>
> (a) because you believe RFC 5646, Section 3.4 (12.C.2) recommends
> against it, or

I do believe that, but I don't insist on it.

> (b) because you believe none of the candidates meets the criterion
> described in RFC 5645, Section 2.2, second paragraph?

I think that Latvian and Lithuanian probably do meet the criterion,
that Blang and Low German probably don't, and that there isn't enough
evidence for me to decide about Central Bontoc.  But I deny that that
criterion binds this mailing list.

John Cowan   http://ccil.org/~cowan  cowan at ccil.org
[P]olice in many lands are now complaining that local arrestees are insisting
on having their Miranda rights read to them, just like perps in American TV
cop shows.  When it's explained to them that they are in a different country,
where those rights do not exist, they become outraged.  --Neal Stephenson