Criteria for languages?

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Fri Dec 4 16:52:17 CET 2009

What are your criteria for "whether Walliserdeutsch can be
*correctly* tagged as "gsw", or whether whether
Latgalian can *correctly* be tagged as "lav". You didn't particularly like
the "reasonable person" approach, although that is in widespread use in
legal matters for typical types of judgments.

A strict approach would be that if Latgalian is indeed a different language
from (mutually incomprehensible with) Latvian, then it was incorrect to tag
any Latgalian with "lav", and we just encode a new language and move on.
Same for Walliserdeutsch.

Mark