Criteria for languages?

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 3 04:20:28 CET 2009

I don't disagree to a feeling that this is overkill. For that matter, making Malay a macrolanguage (done before day 1) felt like serious overkill. But the problem arises because there is legacy that has not worked in ways that allow us to keep things as simple and sensible as we'd like while maintaining compatibility with that legacy.

On a related note: I dug out my hard copy of the MARC Language Code List from 2003 (version 21), and it did _not_ include Latgalian. So, apparently MARC started using "lav" for Latgalian more recently than that.

Peter