Criteria for languages?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Dec 2 16:12:02 CET 2009

Michael Everson scripsit:

> Sorry, but there are words in Nynorsk that educated adults will have
> to look up, at least from time to time.

Well, naturally.  In an email I received recently, I had to look up the
word "ophelimity" which my correspondent had used.  That doesn't mean
that I need English web pages annotated with references to an English
dictionary.

> The need for a Nynorsk-Bokmål dictionary is no less than the need
> for a Swedish-Bokmål dictionary or a Danish-Bokmål dictionary.

In abstracto, yes.  In actual use by actual Norwegians, I doubt it.

--
You know, you haven't stopped talking           John Cowan
since I came here. You must have been           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
vaccinated with a phonograph needle.            cowan at ccil.org
        --Rufus T. Firefly