Adding variant subtags 'aluku' and 'nduyka' and 'pamaka' for dialects

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 25 01:39:34 CEST 2009

Hi!

Thanks to Michael Everson for submitting the completely updated forms:
http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2009-August/009281.html

(I do believe that it is possible to change the fields--comments, description--after a record is registered?? That's what I've understood. I think that the term 'bush' is currently not looked on as so bad?? (except that some may use it to mean 'primitive' rather than simply 'divorced' from some perhaps less palatable ways of life).
(One note:  According to my recent search, for what it's worth--it seems that these groups began to 'live in the bush' (that is independently, not on large plantations) after an invasion where the owners abandoned their plantations:

http://books.google.com/books?id=T47lSAGCY34C&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163&dq=Aucan+Paramaccan&source=bl&ots=ry6qPr1dlE&sig=Lxqb7VFSObQrbM4_7BaRpglDF78&hl=en&ei=GxyTSvaFCIzKtgeEqOlR&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false
I doubt this has any bearing on this discussion about whether the term 'bush' is 'derogatory'--but perhaps???  The term is used in this rather dated book, but I assume for now that it is not derogatory.)

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org