Adding variant subtags 'aluku' and 'nduyka' and 'pamaka'fordialects

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Aug 23 20:16:20 CEST 2009

Michael Everson scripsit:

> > The ISO 639-3 change cycle happens only once a year, takes
> > approximately five months, and the deadline for 2009 changes is
> > nearly on us.
>
> Really? Why? We sometimes do a very quick turn-around in the ISO 15924
> JAC.

I don't know why, but such is their policy.  At that, waiting an average
of nine months is better than waiting for the next print edition of
Ethnologue, which comes out every three years or so.

> I would like to avoid having to process change forms for these three
> subtags again later. Isn't that reasonable?

Not, I submit, when any later changes are merely to Comment and
Description fields.  Those are easy, as no objections are likely.

> Wouldn't it be possible for (say) you and Doug and Peter to work with
> him over the next nine days to make a submission to the ISO 639 JAC?

Even if that is done, the original requester will not get his subtags
until next March at the earliest.  Since he has been waiting since January
for reasons beyond anyone's control, the least we can do is to expedite
these subtags, even in slightly imperfect form.  Their semantics is what
matters, and that is not in doubt.

John Cowan                              cowan at ccil.org
            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Humpty Dump Dublin squeaks through his norse
                Humpty Dump Dublin hath a horrible vorse
But for all his kinks English / And his irismanx brogues
                Humpty Dump Dublin's grandada of all rogues.  --Cousin James