Adding variant subtag 'erzgeb' for Erzgebirgisch (was: Requeststhathave been on hold)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Aug 12 03:43:53 CEST 2009

CE Whitehead scripsit:

> Hi.  I was hoping that [gem] would have become something like a
> macro-language (now that 'other' is removed from its definition).
> Apparently it is not doing so.

Collections aren't macrolanguages.  A macrolanguage is an entity which
sometimes is treated as a single language, sometimes as a closely related
group of languages.  The Germanic languages don't, under any conditions,
constitute a single language, not even from the viewpoint of a Martian.

> However, I am fine with registering a prefix of [de] and then adding
> either of the other two prefixes ([sxu] or [vmf]).  (But again this
> involves registering two prefixes, first [de] and then a second more
> specific prefix--which Kent Karlsson seems to object to doing???)

'de' is not more specific than 'sxu' or 'vmf'; they are all individual
language subtags.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of his own