Adding variant subtag 'erzgeb' for Erzgebirgisch (was: Requeststhat have been on hold)

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 11 01:56:51 CEST 2009

Hi -

The Wikipedia materials don't really support the conlusion
that Erzgebirgisch is a variety of Mainfraenkisch (vmf),
particularly since their maps show that it is spoken rather
to the north-east of that vmf's dialect region.  The Wikipedia
article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Franconian_German
specifically calls out Erzgebirgisch as not being in th Mainfraenkisch
subgroup.

But all this has lots of weasel words and health warnings, since this
is an area where a lot more field and historical research would be needed
for there to be any hope of a definitive answer.

When dealing with some of the nomenclature here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconian_languages#Misconceptions
is well worth keeping in mind.

All that being said, in cases like this where there does not appear
to be a cut-and-dried answer, I'd suggest that it makes sense to
defer to the preferences of the party requesting registration.

Randy