PROPOSAL: Remove Deprecation on "sh" in the IANA subtag registry

Mark Davis ⌛ mark at macchiato.com
Mon Aug 10 23:33:32 CEST 2009

Correct, thanks. Here is the form:

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
   1. Name of requester: *Mark Davis*
   2. E-mail address of requester: *mark at macchiato.com*
   3. Record Requested:

      Type: *language*
      Subtag: *sh*
      Prefix:* <unchanged>*
      Preferred-Value:* <unchanged>*
      Deprecated:* REMOVE*
      Suppress-Script:* <unchanged>*
      Macrolanguage:* <unchanged>*
      Comments:* <unchanged>*

   4. Intended meaning of the subtag:* <unchanged>*
   5. Reference to published description
      of the language (book or article):* <n/a>*
   6. Any other relevant information:

The ISO 639-3 code corresponding to 'sh' is not deprecated, it is an
ordinary macrolanguage like many ('no', 'zh', 'ar',...). The new version of
BCP 47 follows the status of languages in ISO 639-3, and for consistency
"sh" should not be deprecated.

http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=hbs
(From a usage standpoint, the code "sh" is also as useful as any other
macrolanguage.)

Mark