[Ltru] How to handle macrolanguage when no code?

Phillips, Addison addison at amazon.com
Thu Apr 9 06:16:52 CEST 2009

> On 2009/04/09 9:53, Phillips, Addison wrote:
> > HTML certainly allows you to declare that some content is
> applicable to more than one language audience. See:
>
> Read "HTTP" for "HTML" here. HTML allows you to declare that
> different
> parts of a Web page are in different languages, but not that one
> and the
> same (part of a) Web page are in more than one language.

That's correct. Although this also applies to HTML via the <meta> tag.

The 'lang' attribute in HTML (as with the xml:lang attribute in XML) allow only a single language tag to be applied to a specific scope *within* a document. I should point out that the best practice link I pointed to also makes this distinction: you can declare the "target audience" in one way and the "document processing language" separately in another.

Addison