Proposed new record for 'wadegile'

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Sep 27 20:21:13 CEST 2008

I have not heard any protests about this one either, so I am posting the
proposed new record for this variant, for whatever time frame the
Reviewer and list participants feel is appropriate.

The corresponding registration form was posted directly by the Reviewer,
so there seems little point in re-posting it here.  It is at
http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2008-September/008535.html .

===

Type: variant
Subtag: wadegile
Added: 2008-xx-xx
Prefix: zh-Latn

===

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
1. Name of requester:

Mark Davis

2. E-mail address of requester:

markdavis at google.com

3. Record Requested:

Type: variant
Subtag: wadegile
Prefix: zh-Latn

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

To be used to indicate transcriptions, typically of Mandarin Chinese,
in the romanization developed by Thomas Wade in the mid-19th century,
and reached settled form with Herbert Giles'Chinese-English dictionary
of 1892.

5. Reference to published description of the language (book or article):

Krieger, Larry S.; Kenneth Neill, Dr. Edward Reynolds (1997). "Chapter
4", in World History; Perspectives on the Past (in English). Illinois:
D.C. Heath and Company, p. 82. ISBN 0-669-40533-7. "This book uses the
traditional system for writing Chinese names, sometimes called the
Wade-Giles system. This system is used in many standard reference
books and in all books on China published before 1979."

Giles, Herbert. 1892. A Chinese-English Dictionary (Hua-Ying Zidian).
Shanghai. (Also London 1912).

See also the LOC page for the relation between Hanyu Pinyin and Wade-
Giles: http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pinyin/romcover.html

See also the Wikipedia articles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade-
Giles and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Chinese_romanization_systems