Pinyin

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Sep 26 13:12:53 CEST 2008

On 26 Sep 2008, at 10:51, Tracey, Niall wrote:

> After my last post, I've realised there's another technical/design
> concern to be addressed:
>
> Most Chinese computers use pinyin as their main textual input
> method, correct?

No; there are a variety of input methods in current use. One is stroke
based.

> If the pinyin is going to be converted to Chinese script.

It is impossible to do this. Even if you write the tones (and there
are options as how to do that) a given pinyin syllable (say, yín or
its equivalent yin2) can refer to one of five different characters
(taken from a small 600 page dictionary). And if the tone isn't
marked, ther are 18 different possible characters for "yin".