Pinyin

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 25 17:46:37 CEST 2008

From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Michael Everson

>> What you perceive as a logical generalisation, the native speakers
>> may see as a racist generalisation.
>
> OK, this is over the top.
>
> The fact is that "Pinyin" refers to a particular use of the Latin
> alphabet... whose properties... make it quite unique as
> regards other orthographies. In addition to Mandarin, the Chinese
> themselves apply this alphabet to other Chinese languages as well as
> other languages of China.

Isn't that ignoring the politics of the region? By analogy, suppose Hindi orthography were a perfectly sufficient basis for transliterating Tamil: that wouldn't mean that Tamil speakers would have no objections to tagging their transliterated content "ta-hindi". Maybe "pinyin" isn't a problem for speakers of other languages, but I wouldn't want to assume that without investigation.

Peter