Really OT: internationalized email addresses (Was: frenchorthography (Was: BCP47 Appeals process)

Lang Gérard gerard.lang at insee.fr
Wed Sep 24 08:14:41 CEST 2008

I agree with Mark Crispin,

And this is why, inside ISO 3166-1, we are merely coding a romanization (representation) of the native script form of the official name of the country in an administrative language of this country, rather that a french or english translation of this official country name.
And this is also why I would prefer that 'language names" would be built as phonetisation or romanization from the autonym form of the language name, rather that taken as french or english translation or equivalence of this language name.

Concerning "internet french", the question is not limited to "not accented voyels", there others differences like"ç" or ligatures "oe" and "ae" with the Latin script.
Gérard LANG