French orthography on the Internet

Mark Crispin markrcrispin at live.com
Tue Sep 23 22:17:03 CEST 2008

> From: bortzmeyer at nic.fr
> The "unaccented French" is clearly quite common but I'm not sure there
> is much point in tagging it.

I am not a Francophone, so I do not know if a letter without a diacritical is
merely an unaccented form of the same letter, or if it actually changes the
letter.  I believe that in some Scandinavian languages, U+00F8 is a
completely different letter from U+006F.

If "unaccented French" is merely use of unaccented forms of the same
letter, then arguably such text is a "defective font" encoding, much as
all-uppercase English is "defective", and a tag for this is unneeded much
as a tag for all-uppercase English is unneeded.

If, however, "unaccented French" is becoming a separate orthography
that French people choose to use even when writing with a pen, I think
that it may be worth a registration.

-- Mark --