Language for taxonomic names

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 23 06:26:21 CEST 2008

I would not see this getting coded in ISO 639 as a distinct language, because it is not a human language by any definition. You can't say "I'm hungry" or "What is that?" in this system. I think either you say it's an application and variant of Latin, or you say that, as it allows terms based on Latin or Greek origins or based on personal names from various cultures, it's a constructed system that is no more a human language than is Cobol.

On initial reaction, I don't see a reason to object to registering variant subtags with a prefix of zxx.

Peter