Khotanese and Sakan

ISO639-3 at sil.org ISO639-3 at sil.org
Mon Sep 22 16:36:35 CEST 2008

I am checking on this with my LinguistList contact. Thanks for bringing it
to my attention.

Joan Spanne
ISO 639-3/RA
SIL International
7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd
Dallas, TX 75236
ISO639-3 at sil.org

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no

- <klncity at yahoo.com>
cc
ietf-languages at alvestrand.no
Subject
Re: Khotanese and Sakan

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 02:16:37AM -0700,
 - <klncity at yahoo.com> wrote
 a message of 4 lines which said:

> In the descripton of Sakan [xsk] in linguistlist.org, it said that
> the Sakan language is also named Khotanese; but Khotanese has
> already a code [kho]. Do the two codes [kho] and [xsk] duplicate
> each other?

In the current IETF/IANA language tag registry
<http://www.langtag.net/registries.html>, kho (Khotanese) exists but
there is no code xsk.

In the future version (the successor of today's RFC 4646, which will
be the first one to incorporate ISO 639-3), there will be a xsk for
Sakan. See
<http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=xsk>

Now, are there the same language or not? Currently, ISO 639-3
registration authority says no... And we follow them.