BCP47 Appeals process

Tracey, Niall niall.tracey at logica.com
Thu Sep 18 12:09:02 CEST 2008

Yury Tarasievich
> Anyway, if we are talking precedent, the French subtags are
> happily using "generic" "year-acad" subtags, as far as I know.
> I'll have yet to see good reason for Belarusian ones to not to.

It makes sense in the case of French for these tags to come directly under fr- (or fr-FR-) because historically French orthography has been ruled by pretty much one school of thought, so mutual intelligibility at the fr level is pretty much guaranteed, except perhaps for a few radical changes.

This is the reason that many of us feel it better to have a subtag "-academy" (or "akadem", "acade", whatever).

But perhaps I've been overestimating the importance of the "-tarask" variant.

If we see simply "be", can we be very (>95%) sure that it will be in one of the academy forms?

If -tarask is a fringe thing, and we can assume that almost anything tagged simply "be" is in the academy's orthography then it would make sense to have the individual academy variants labelled -1959acad etc.

Níall.