ON LANGUAGE NAMES /// RE: Results of Duplicate Busters Survey #2//Ainu

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Sep 9 15:41:39 CEST 2008

Lang Gérard <gerard dot lang at insee dot fr> wrote:

> I do not know if my proposition solution is simpler, easier to
> understand or more arbitrary that ISO 639/RA-JAC's one
> But, in my opinion, it is more like a "language name" that adding a
> country name after a language name.
> Moreover, if we begin in this direction, how will we explain that we
> do not want to recognize language names like "arab (country name)" for
> every arab speaking country ?

Those are regional varieties of the same underlying Arabic language, not
totally different languages as Ainu and Ainu are.

Besides, Arabic is not a good example for the point you are trying to
make.  Consider that ISO 639-3/RA has registered all of the following so
far, based on a lack of mutual intelligibility:

Arabic
Algerian Arabic
Algerian Saharan Arabic
Andalusian Arabic