ON LANGUAGE NAMES /// RE: Results of Duplicate Busters Survey #2

Lang Gérard gerard.lang at insee.fr
Tue Sep 9 11:03:35 CEST 2008

Dear John Cowan,

A1-I did not find your reference /languagelog/archives/ particularly productive concerning mutual understanding, but more in the vein of  Georges Bush about Irak opposing Europe's "old civilisation" against US "new civilisation".
A2-More specifically, concerning fact and theory checkers, I am very interested by the theory of limits of formal systems, and you could find a reference with my name in the notes of the site Internet METAMATH of Norman Megill (MIT), that is certainly one of the best (the best for me) logical and mathematical proof checker in the world. So that, it is not always adequate to proceed with such generalisations as your reference seems to do.
A3-About fact checking, I could provide many interesting references on how the NASA lost many money, scientific consideration and a Mars orbiter because they thougt in the SI (Systeme International; metric system) when their contractor, a big US spatial firm, thought in an "old fashioned" anglo-saxon measure system.

B1-We already saw that the concept of "language name" has many acceptions and versions (french, english, romanized, vernacular, original, indigenous, autonym,..), so that "autonym" is one of the possible (and the best for me, when existing) realisation for this concept.
B2-And that the concept of "language" is distinct of the concept of "language name", but that every realisation of a language name refers to an underlying language.

C-I made a proposition to choose "Ainu" for the japanese language name and "Aynu" for the chinese language name.