LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R4): pinyin

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 9 01:42:21 CEST 2008

Hi, if the subtag without a prefix, and with information about the primary prefixes listed under its intended meaning is what you all want, it is fine with me.

I agree that use of the subtag should not be limited to Mandarin Chinese pinyin.

However would it not also be possible to register multiple prefixes?

That's another thought.  Some prefixes could be added in later, like we are doing for Mandarin.

On another note:  is Tibetan a form of Chinese???  (Could you say 'Pinyin Romanization of languages related to Chinese?'  Or is that too much?? Sorry for suggesting it.  I agree that we should move this subtag forward in the registration process ASAP.)

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com

From: Michael Everson everson at evertype.com

>Well, more likely this:

> LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
> 1. Name of requester:

> Mark Davis

> 2. E-mail address of requester:

> markdavis at google.com

> 3. Record Requested:

> Type: variant
> Subtag: pinyin

> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

> To distinguish Chinese content written in Latin characters using> the
> Pinyin romanization (transliteration/transcription) from other
> possible transcriptions, particularly from Wade-Giles.
> The primary use is for Mandarin Chinese (where the prefixes zh-> and/or
> zh-Latn- may be used); other languages may also use this

> subtag, with
> or without -Latn-.

> 5. Reference to published description of the language (book or

> article):

> Hanyu pinyin, the most commonly used system for Chinese

> romanization,
has been the national standard of China since 1958, and an