LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R3): pinyin

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 8 18:15:54 CEST 2008

Hi -

The pinyin orthography is highly optimized for the phonology
of Mandarin Chinese.  It would be terribly ill-suited for use
with Vietnamese, English, German, French, and Russian, to name
just a few languages for which the it lacks sufficient tone
notation, vowel distinctions, stress markers, or consonants.

The registration request is for a specific orthography of a specific language,
which happens to reflect that language's phonology rather well.
It is not a general-purpose transcription mechanism, and we shouldn't
try to turn it into one.

Randy