LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R3): pinyin

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sun Sep 7 21:12:53 CEST 2008

You seem to be re-visiting "zh" in the prefix; is that really what you intend? I thought there was consensus that the intent was a subtag for a Mandarin orthography alone.

The reason that fonipa doesn't have a prefix is that it truely is applicable to any language, and the prefix that (IMO) should have been, *-Latn, isn't permitted by RFC4646. It isn't comparable to these cases and so should not be considered precedent setting.

Peter