Proposal to remove Suppress-Script from

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Sat Nov 22 21:43:26 CET 2008

Den 2008-11-22 20.53, skrev "Doug Ewell" <doug at ewellic.org>:

> Kent Karlsson has proposed, on the LTRU list, to remove the Suppress-Script
> value 'Latn' from the language subtags 'cpe' ("Creoles and pidgins,
> English-based (Other)") and 'son' ("Songhai languages"), noting that: > (a)
"it seems inappropriate to have a 'Suppress-Script' for a collection code,
> even if the script given is used for all languages covered by the collection
> code," and
This was my general proposition. I don't know why 'son' and 'cpe' ever
got a "Suppress-Script" even though they are collection codes.

> (b) there is a specific inconsistency in that 'son' has a
> Suppress-Script while the proposed RFC 4646bis language subtag 'dje'
> ("Zarma") does not, even though Zarma is a Songhai language.
This was just an example. I haven't gone through all codes that would
would (presumably) be covered by either 'son' nor 'cpe' (but see below).

        /kent k

> What do ietf-languages participants think about this? > I have tried to
represent Kent's position fairly and without bias; any