Proposed modified records for 'mo' and 'ro'

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Nov 10 15:17:46 CET 2008

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

>> LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATIONFile-Date: 2008-11-22%%Type:
>> languageSubtag: moDescription: MoldavianDescription: MoldovanAdded:
>> 2005-10-16Preferred-Value: roDeprecated: 2008-11-22Suppress-Script:
>> Latn%%
>
> Is it just me or are end-of-lines missing, which makes the
> registration form quite difficult to read?
>
> [In the archives,
> <http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2008-November/008663.html>,
> it looks OK.]

I know that my mail is being sent as "flowed," even though I've told
Outlook Express not to do that.  Maybe it's my host mail account.
Obviously with e-mail there are several providers and variables
involved.

Anyway, here is the message again, hopefully with proper formatting --
if not, go with the Web archive.

===

Now that ISO 639-2 has posted the Romanian/Moldavian/Moldovan change to
their official Web site, I'm posting the proposed new records and
registration forms for language subtags 'mo' and 'ro' to this list for a
two-week review.  Note the expected submission date of 2008-11-22,
although I doubt IANA will process these on a Saturday.

ISO 639-3 hasn't made the corresponding change yet, but (a) that isn't
relevant to the current RFC 4646 process and (b) I have confidence that
they will make the change soon, keeping 639-2 and 639-3 in line with
each other.  I will also keep track of this change to make sure it gets
added to any future RFC 4645bis drafts before publication.

Note that since both subtags already had a Suppress-Script of 'Latn',
and John argued rather convincingly that the proportion of Latin-script
Romanian is numerically "overwhelming," I've left the S-S field alone.

===

LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
File-Date: 2008-11-22
%%
Type: language
Subtag: mo
Added: 2005-10-16
Preferred-Value: ro
Deprecated: 2008-11-22
Suppress-Script: Latn
%%

===

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

1. Name of requester: Doug Ewell
2. E-mail address of requester: doug at ewellic.org
3. Record Requested:

   Type: language
   Subtag: mo
   Preferred-Value: ro
   Deprecated: 2008-11-22
   Suppress-Script: Latn
   Comments:

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

5. Reference to published description
   of the language (book or article):

6. Any other relevant information:

   The purpose of this registration is to track a change made to ISO
   639-2 effective 2008-11-03, deprecating the code element 'mo' and
   adding its associated names "Moldavian" and "Moldovan" to the
   existing code element for Romanian.  No other change is made to this
   subtag.

===

LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
File-Date: 2008-11-22
%%
Type: language
Subtag: ro
Added: 2005-10-16
Suppress-Script: Latn
%%

===

2. E-mail address of requester: doug at ewellic.org
3. Record Requested:

   Type: language
   Subtag: ro
   Suppress-Script: Latn
   Comments:

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

5. Reference to published description
   of the language (book or article):

6. Any other relevant information:

   The purpose of this registration is to track a change made to ISO
   639-2 effective 2008-11-03, deprecating the code element 'mo' and
   adding its associated names "Moldavian" and "Moldovan" to the
   existing code element for Romanian.  The existing Suppress-Script
   value 'Latn', which also existed for 'mo', was retained for this
   subtag.  No other change is made to this subtag.

http://www.ewellic.org