[OT] Historical correction (was: Re: ISO 639 JAC decision re mo/mol)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Nov 4 14:54:29 CET 2008

I wrote:

> It's completely understandable for a newly independent country to want
> to take steps to demonstrate its independence -- that's why the U.S.
> had a national mint before it had a federal constitution

This is historically incorrect.  The U.S. Constitution was ratified in
1787, the Bill of Rights in 1791, and the U.S. Mint was founded in 1792.
However, it was one of the first federal institutions authorized by the
Constitution to be put into practice, and in fact there was federal
coinage before the official creation of the Mint.  So I hope my point
about creating symbols of national sovereignty isn't completely lost.

http://www.ewellic.org