LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION REQUEST - zxx

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Thu May 1 17:45:40 CEST 2008

Hi -

If that text is being mis-read as a recommendation, we need to change it.
To me the text in question is clearly just a list of possible examples,
with no normative force.  After its sole normative sentence, the paragraph
continues with "Some examples might include".

But to the point of this thread, the 4.1 (4) begins:
   4.  [ISO639-2] has defined several codes included in the subtag
       registry that require additional care when choosing language
       tags.  In most of these cases, where omitting the language tag is
       permitted, such omission is preferable to using these codes.
       Language tags SHOULD NOT incorporate these subtags as a prefix,
       unless the additional information conveys some value to the
       application.

That *is* a recommendation.  If anyone thinks this text needs to be
changed (either to make it stronger or weaker in normative force)