Modification request: gsw (new Description)

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Thu Mar 20 19:22:40 CET 2008

We don't need a new form. I already submitted the form below on January 9.
I think it just needs to be added. We agreed to hold the previous change
request until ISO ruled on adding this description. This form was sent to
IETF-Languages on January 9.  Two weeks are up. The only hurdle was
getting ISO to make this change. That has been done, so I think we just
need Doug to add this unless Michael has a new concern. If you want, we
can add a line of text to my request to indicate that this request also
supports the ISO change.

Regards,

Karen Broome

LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION FORM

1. Name of requester:  Karen Broome
2. E-mail address of requester:  karen_broome at spe.sony.com
3. Record Requested:

Type: Language
Subtag: gsw
Prefix:
Preferred-Value:
Deprecated:
Suppress-Script: Latn
Comments:

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

Not applicable

5. Reference to published description of the language (book or article):

Gordon, Raymond G., Jr. (ed.), 2005. Ethnologue: Languages of the World,
Fifteenth edition. Dallas, Tex.: SIL International.

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=gsw

6. Any other relevant information:

This is a request to add Alsatian to the description list for Swiss German

(gsw). This will not only clarify that this dialect is included in the gsw

tag, but also improve search functions for users trying to find the
correct tag for the French dialect of this language in the IANA registry.

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no
03/20/2008 10:13 AM

ietf-languages at iana.org
cc

Subject
Modification request: gsw (new Description)

[I'm not 100 % sure of the right procedure to integrate in the LSR
*changes*, not additions, of ISO 639. RFC 4646 is very clear for
addition/deletion but not for changes.]

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

1. Name of requester: St&#xE9;phane Bortzmeyer

2. E-mail address of requester: bortzmeyer+langtag at nic.fr

3. Record Requested:

   Type: language
   Subtag: gsw
   Comments:

4. Intended meaning of the subtag: Modification of an existing subtag,
to follow the addition of a description (alsatian) in ISO 639-2. See
<http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_changes.php>