ID for language-invariant strings

Tracey, Niall niall.tracey at logica.com
Tue Mar 18 17:33:29 CET 2008

I'm going to nail my colours to the ZXX mast.

The developer is entitled to choose any identifier he likes when naming his font. It could be "Gothic Cursive Heavy", it could be "GothCursHeav", it could be "GCH123", it could be "&*hhdjg%&&^" or it could be "1000100101110010010101".

Where on this scale does this cease to be "linguistic"? It's arbitrary data, but as with any arbitrary data, we can assume that the author is going to impose some sort of mnemonic structure on it.

To read my email as I intended, you need to know the rules of English. To use the internal identifier of a font, you need not know anything about the author's language.

It is not linguistic.

Níall.
Views expressed in this email are personal and do not reflect the policy of Logica.