SV: "no" vs. "nb" and "nn"

Håvard Hjulstad havard at hjulstad.com
Tue Mar 18 15:40:30 CET 2008

"no" is by no means obsolete. Kent Karlsson's statement in incorrect in many
respects. We need "no", "nb", and "nn".

There is no "official spoken form" of neither Bokmål nor Nynorsk. It is of
course possible to read out loud both forms of Norwegian, and there are
clear relationships between the various spoken forms and both written forms.
This is an important point: Spoken language isn't "normalized" in Norway.
You can hear any dialect even in "official" contexts. For the purpose of
classifying dialects, the distinction "nb" vs "nn" is irrelevant.

For Norwegian purposes the three identifiers cause little problem. People
not knowing Norwegian could use "no" for any form, or "no" for spoken and
"nb"/"nn" for written (if the distinction is relevant).

"no" as a macrolanguage isn't very far from the truth. Of course there is no
absolute distinction between "individual language" and "macrolanguage".

Håvard

Håvard Hjulstad
  mailto:havard at hjulstad.com