Excluding language subtag 'eur' (was: Re: Principles of Operation)

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Wed Jan 30 22:15:27 CET 2008

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:

>> As I said: the language is a joke, the code element is not.
>
> It still makes the registration of a code element for this joke in the
> 639-3 registry a mistake. I hope that code element will be removed
> from there before we incorporate 639-3 code elements into the IETF
> language subtag registry.

Speaking as editor of RFC 4645bis, I would need some specific wording in
RFC 4646bis to authorize this.  I cannot in good faith exclude any
subtag from the 4645bis Registry without an objective justification, on
the basis that members of ietf-languages feel the subtag is silly or a
joke or a mistake.  To do so would be a process failure in the truest
sense of the phrase.

(Speaking as a contributor, I absolutely agree that the "language"
Europanto is silly and a joke, and that its inclusion in ISO 639-3 was a
mistake.)

http://www.ewellic.org