Europanto

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Mon Jan 28 15:43:31 CET 2008

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

> The code element is serious.  The language is not.

At least the bogus language subtag "eur" will have a bogus region subtag
"EU" to go with it.

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> Would this list be up to the task to register 639-3 "languages" on a
> case by case base ?  Stopping 4646bis until they have a handle on such
> issues would be suboptimal.

Under RFC 4646, this list is not empowered to register 3-letter langauge
subtags that do not correspond to ISO 639-2 code elements.

Under RFC 4646bis, this list will not be empowered to register 3-letter
langauge subtags that do not correspond to ISO 639-2 or 639-3 code
elements.

Besides that, I seriously doubt we want to get into the business of
picking and choosing among 7,200 new ISO 639-3 languages.  They have
made mistakes before (Amerax) and they will doubtless make mistakes
again, but do we have the resources and expertise to say we can do their
job better?

http://www.ewellic.org