Addition request: alsatian

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 11 22:40:52 CET 2008

I support Addison's suggestion--to insert a comment for now, change the description as soon as possible (or change it now if possible), and only if needed, to register a variant.

I see no problem with gsw-fr if the description is corrected

unless Alsatian really is quite distinct from the Swiss and German varieties of gsw

(but de-fr would never work for Alsatian)

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com> From: addison at yahoo-inc.com> > Mark Davis wrote:> 7> A second issue is that Alsatian speakers do not think of > themselves as> > speaking "Alemannic" and that the idea of using gsw alone may be> > difficult to "sell" to these people.> > > > > > We are tagging languages, not names of languages. The fact that some > > people call a language, dialect, or variant by a different name doesn't > > justify having a variant subtag.> > > > > > I agree: the fact that people call a language something else calls for a > separate description. Or possibly a comment.> > One resolution to the conundrum of Karen's request would be:> > Now: insert a comment into the 'gsw' record like this:> > Comment: This language is also use in the Alsace region> of France, where it is referred to as Alsatian.> > Later, if ISO acts in a manner consistent with changing the description, > add a Description field saying 'Alsatian' and remove the comment. Note > that "acts in a manner..." may include not adding the description > officially to ISO 639.> > If, for some reason, Alsatian turns out to be a regional dialect of > 'gsw' and if evidence is presented here that "gsw-FR" is insufficient to > represent that dialect, register Stephane's variant (and remove the > comment).> > -- > Addison Phillips> Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.> Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG> > Internationalization is an architecture.> It is not a feature.> _______________________________________________> Ietf-languages mailing list> Ietf-languages at alvestrand.no> http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages