Addition request: alsatian

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Wed Jan 9 07:19:28 CET 2008

Nicholas Shanks <contact at nickshanks dot com> wrote:

> This response seems to neglect temporal considerations. You also have
> to guarantee that there have not been any other Alemmanic dialects
> previously spoken, and that there will not be any in future.

What Michael said.  Not only is this clearly impossible, it's also
unnecessary.

> Population movements (forced or otherwise) to increase non-alsatian
> gsw speakers in FR, and future border changes (maybe France will give
> Alsace to Germany in exchange for Wollonia?) could easily make gsw-FR
> change in meaning, unless the date it was tagged was also known and
> respected when interpreting tags.

I think this assigns way too much precision to the notion of subdividing
language variation by region.  It's well understood that country names
change, parcels change ownership (though not nearly as often as they
once did), and speakers relocate.  This is inherent in the entrenched
usage, which we did not invent, of appending a country code to a
language code to narrow down the variation.  No other similar mechanism
is as simple, as commonly understood, or as free from charges of bias.

"en-US" and "en-CA" mean, roughly, English with specific features
generally thought to be characteristic of the United States and Canada,
respectively.  They do not imply that there is a significant dialectical
boundary between, say, Detroit and Windsor.

http://www.ewellic.org