Addition request: alsatian

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Jan 3 11:29:20 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 11:10:10AM +0100,
 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 45 lines which said:

> I read that this request is partly for political reasons.

Then, you badly read it, sorry. What I wrote is that alsatian *is*
(present tense) distinct from "alemannic" partly for political reasons
(the fact that Alsace has been mostly in France for the last
centuries), which is quite different. (In the same way that the
language en-US is distinct from the language en-GB mostly for
political reasons, but using en-US does not mean that you approve or
disapprove the US Declaration of Independance, it is a simple
recognition of a fact.)

> I read that there are other distinctions that are equally valid.

Alternatives welcome. The classification of alemannic dialects is
extremely hairy (so I limit myself to one I have some knowledge
about).