Alsatian answer from LOC

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 27 02:06:28 CET 2008

Hi -

(sorry about the preceding content-free posting)

To Germanists, "Alemannic" would be a highly unsatisfactory name for gsw,
since Alemannic includes other dialects, such as Swabian, that clearly were
not intended to be included in gsw.  There was extensive discussion of this
in November and December of 2006 on both this and the ltru WG lists.
For example of why treating Alemannic as "the" name for gsw would be
most confusing, consider http://www.ethnologue.com/show_family.asp?subid=92157

Randy