Stop requiring endonyms (Was: RFC 4645bis: making 'pes' and'prs'extlangs/// Better use autonyms

Lang Gérard gerard.lang at insee.fr
Fri Dec 12 12:01:22 CET 2008

Dear Addison Phillips,
Thank you very much for answering my message.
Let me add some comments.

1-Surely, RFC 4646 is an IETF BCP about identifyinglanguages with language tags. Certainly, ISO 639 is an ISO standard about codes for the representation of names of languages. Evidently, there must be a link between both of them.
And so, it is a perfectly good solution that RFC 4646, as an IETF "de facto" standard, uses ISO 639, as an ISO "de jure" standard, for reference.
It is also plainly understandable that the needs for RFC 4646 could eventually have some retro-influence about the maintenance of ISO 639, but certainly not to the point of contradicting the spirit, the history or even the precise letter of the text of ISO 639, as it certainly is now the case in my opinion. For example, the fact that ISO 639/RA-JAC offered a statement about "freezing" ISO 639-1 in the interest of RFC 4646 (that is dirtectly in contradiction with the letter of the text of this standard) is an example of wjhat should certainly not be accepted. As is the fact that ISO 639-3 is not a bilingually english/french face-à-face presented standard (as are ISO 639, ISO 639-1, ISO 639-2 and ISO 639-5), that is a grave nuisance for comprehension, when the english text is very ambiguously written about the foindamental question of what ido ISO 639-3 code elements represent (language names, as says the general title of ISO 639, or directly languages, that shouls not be the case), so that "manipulations" on "reference names" are occuring too frequently.

2-And, in fact, let me insist that "reference name"is not a general concept used by ISO 639, as (the letter of) your message seems to think.
ISO 639 uses "original name" as major basis for uits coding-representation scheme.
ISO 639-1 uses "indigenous name" for its coding-representation scheme.
ISO 639-2 uses "established usages by bibliographic databases" as major basis for its "bibliographic coding-representation scheme (?)" and "vernacular form of the language" as major basis for its "terminologic coding-representation"scheme.
Only ISO 639-3 uses "reference name" (defined in 3.4 as "initially established by Ethnologue") as (not systematically if you carefully read clause 4.1, but certainly the letter of this is not to be taken "cum grano salis" !) major  basis for its coding-representation scheme.
I am obliged to remark that, considering that "Ethnologue" is a clear reference to ethnology and what is ethnology and the evident link between linguistics and ethnology
(as clearly evidenced by David Dalby in the formulation "Speech communities"), it is more than astonishing tthat thje reference names provided by Ethnologue are almost
Always only english version (translation ?) of the name of the considered language and mnot derived from the genuine autonyms.

3-Considering specifically the ISO 639-3 code element "fas", whose "supposed" reference name (because the ISO 639-3/RA, whose table has a column whose title is only "language name", never answered  when I asked to know if this "Language name" was effectively systematically identical with the corresponding "reference name") is "Persian", there is no visible link betwween the chain "Persian" and the chain "fas" that "codes the representation of the ["reference"] name".
So,the choice of such a "reference name" is rather curious, when "fas" inside ISO 639-3 is identifying the same language name as "fa" inside 639-1, whose "indigenous name" is "fârsy", that gives an evident visible link between this indigenous name and the code element that "codes the representation of the language ["indigenous"] name."

4-This is (one of the reason) why ISO 639-4, that will be giving the general methodology to build ISO 639 code elements should be precise about these questions.

Bien cordialement.
Gérard LANG