LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R3): pinyin

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Aug 27 04:31:27 CEST 2008

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> These can be processed now, in my opinion.

Phillips, Addison <addison at amazon dot com> replied:

> Does that mean you have approved these updated versions of the forms?
> (I have no objection, just want to be clear)

Here are the proposed new records and registration forms, for a two-week
review period.  (Sorry, guys: RFC 4646, Section 3.7.)  Eligible to be
added Wednesday, September 9 at 3:00 UTC, unless someone objects or
finds a problem.

===

LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
File-Date: 2008-xx-xx
%%
Type: variant
Subtag: pinyin
Added: 2008-xx-xx
Prefix: zh
%%

===

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
1. Name of requester:

Mark Davis

2. E-mail address of requester:

markdavis at google.com

3. Record Requested:

Type: variant
Subtag: pinyin
Prefix: zh

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

To distinguish Mandarin Chinese content written in Latin characters
using the Hanyu
Pinyin romanization (transliteration/transcription) from the
other possible transcriptions.

5. Reference to published description of the language (book or article):

Hanyu Pinyin, the most commonly used system for Mandarin
Chinese romanization, has been the national standard of China since
1958, and an international standard ( ISO 7098:1991, 2nd ed.) since
1982.
See also the LOC page for the relation between Hanyu Pinyin and
Wade-Giles:
http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pinyin/romcover.html

6. Any other relevant information:

===

LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
File-Date: 2008-xx-xx
%%
Type: variant
Subtag: wadegile
Added: 2008-xx-xx
Prefix: zh
%%

===

markdavis at google.com

3. Record Requested:

Type: variant
Subtag: wadegile
Prefix: zh

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

To distinguish Mandarin Chinese content written in Latin characters
using the Wade-Giles romanization (transliteration/transcription) from
other possible transcriptions

5. Reference to published description of the language (book or article):

Wade-Giles developed from a system produced by Thomas Wade in the
mid-19th century, and reached settled form with Herbert Giles's
Chinese-English dictionary of 1892.
Krieger, Larry S.; Kenneth Neill, Dr. Edward Reynolds (1997). "ch. 4",
World History; Perspectives on the Past (in English). Illinois: D.C.
Heath and Company, p. 82. ISBN 0-669-40533-7. "This book uses the
traditional system for writing Chinese names, sometimes called the
Wade-Giles system. This system is used in many standard reference
books and in all books on China published before 1979."

http://www.ewellic.org