wadegile and pinyin LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORMs

Broome, Karen Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Tue Aug 26 01:39:24 CEST 2008

Right. So should zh-wadegile and zh-pinyin, if registered, be deprecated on birth of RFC 4646bis? Or would we be better served by suggesting that Mark use a private extension until the "cmn" tag is added?

In my mind, the last thing we need is more choices for Chinese languages. I believe these tags have potential use in my industry to represent the names of Chinese actors and Chinese work titles with applications, contracts, internal search mechanisms, and users that cannot handle zh/cmn characters. As you know, I have a strong need to distinguish audio and written variants (and written Cantonese and Mandarin), so the "zh" tag is not a good choice for me.

Regards,

Karen Broome