LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: pinyin

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Tue Aug 5 05:13:20 CEST 2008

If LTRU were not considering keeping the extlang formalism, it would be conceivably feasible to deprecate “zh”. With extlang, however, I don’t see how “zh” could be deprecated. Of course, I think what Karen has in mind is that “zh-cmn” (or “zh-yue”, etc.) be used in preference to “zh” alone, but there is no mechanism to indicate that certain subtag sequences (let alone the *absence* of certain sequences) are deprecated.

Peter