Duplicate Busters: Survey #1

ISO639-3 at sil.org ISO639-3 at sil.org
Mon Aug 4 22:56:47 CEST 2008

Hello All,

The ISO 639-3 website has been updated, both the online code tables and
the download tables, to reflect the nine changes required to disambiguate
names (8 instances) and align Part 3 with Part 2 (1 instance). In the
future I will be more vigilant to see that proposed changes account for
the need to maintain uniqueness in names.

There are differences between the names in Parts 2 and 3 where a
(typically geographic or scope) qualifier is needed in Part 3 to
differentiate otherwise identical names, but no qualifier is given (or
needed) in the Part 2 instance. This has been the case since the ISO/DIS
639-3, and will most likely persist. In other respects, Part 3 does its
best to maintain agreement with Part 2 in names. (I found one additional
name in Part 3 that never filtered down to Part 2, which I will address
with the JAC).

Joan Spanne
ISO 639-3/RA
SIL International
7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd
Dallas, TX 75236
ISO639-3 at sil.org

"Doug Ewell" <doug at ewellic.org>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no

<ietf-languages at iana.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Duplicate Busters: Survey #1

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> Apparently your proposals with one minor change and
> one omission will make it to the source, that's IMO
> better than slight differences.

I agree.

> For 'bxx' and future similar cases we might need a
> way to indicate "dupes" directly in the description.

The last we heard from ISO 639-3 (July 31) was that they had agreed to
add annotations to the two Bornas.  Doing so would solve our problem
while causing little or no problem for 639-3 or its other users.

> You didn't like my "foobar (*)" proposal to indicate
> that this is not the primary "foobar" entry for the
> relevant record type.  How about using "(foobar)" ?

I didn't agree with the premise that BCP 47 or the Registry should
indicate a "primary" Description field at all.

http://www.ewellic.org