LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: pinyin

Phillips, Addison addison at amazon.com
Mon Aug 4 19:18:13 CEST 2008

It would be absurd not to permit the use of the 'zh' subtag with the subtag for the Romanization scheme, IMO. Yes, 'cmn' is more accurate. But we allow all sorts of inaccurate tagging.

However, the point that 'pinyin' as a term is inexact seems reasonable. Perhaps change the subtag requested to 'hanyu'? How about:

Type: variant
Subtag: hanyu
Prefix: zh-Latn
Prefix: zh

Note that 'cmn' would be added as a prefix when available.

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.