LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: pinyin

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 4 17:42:51 CEST 2008

Hi:

I support both prefixes:

zh-cmn-Latnzh-Latn

(with the script subtag Latn as part of the prefix in both cases --thus the first parts of tags created with these prefixes would match other tags describing Romanizations of Chinese written in the same script--
maybe this will be helpful to browsers that do not recognize the new subtags but recognize zh and Latn--such browsers will be able to locate all properly tagged romanizations still).

(However, I think it's fine if any browser on its own wants to recognize say,
zh-pinyin
as  being written in the Latin script even though the script subtag is missing from the tag zh-pinyin!  That would be great!  But I do not think we need to register prefixes without the Latn script subtag).

I think we can register the zh-Latn prefix now and add zh-cmn-Latn later if that's what people want to do.

Sincerely,

C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com