LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: pinyin

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Aug 2 03:09:15 CEST 2008

Even if suppress-script could be used with a variant subtag, I think it would NOT be a good recommendation for best practice to have people keep script subtags out of their tags because that info is considered redundant with the meaning of the particular variant. IMO, this is one instance of useful redundancy: I think it reasonable to assume that a lot of implementations will understand the semantics of the script subtag (those being a fairly static list known up front) but that not a lot of implementations will have much specific knowledge about the semantics of variant subtags (that list being likely to grow over the life span of a typical implementation and so not being known up front). If we want implementations to make useful choices when it comes to writing system, then I think including the script subtag is definitely best practice, even if there is redundancy. In practical terms, the script subtags *will* add useful information.

Peter