Duplicate Busters: Survey #2

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Fri Aug 1 10:50:59 CEST 2008

Doug Ewell wrote:
> 1.  Two Description fields are identical, [...]
> or one contains letters with
> diacritical marks while the other is a pure-ASCII
> equivalent (i.e. all
> diacritical marks stripped).  [...]  The
> premise is that both Description fields convey
> the exact same content,
> but using slightly different typography. ...

I do **NOT** agree with the position that removing diacritial
marks would be "slightly different typography". It is a difference
in spelling, much the same as differences in spelling that you
excluded from your list ["(such as Kirghiz vs. Kyrgyz, or Dhivehi
vs. Divehi)"] and thus want to keep as multiple names.

As for the other items in your "#2" list, keep just the ISO 639-3
names. (Don't generalise my statement here. As you know, I think
some of the items not on this "#2" list need spell correction.)

	/kent k