Duplicate Busters: Survey #1 [bwo] and [bxx]

ISO639-3 at sil.org ISO639-3 at sil.org
Fri Aug 1 00:12:18 CEST 2008

ISO 639-3 procedure does require that it does not have duplicate names,
but whether in reference names only or among all names is what needs
clarification from the ISO 639 perspective (additional names moved into
ISO 639-3 from Part 2, not originally as part of the standard). I now
understand Addison's (and Doug's) position that all "descriptions" (which
in these four cases are constituted by the language names) must be unique
in the context of RFC 4646 within a single domain (as John Cowan
remarked).

I will take action to resolve the matter for each of the four (Aruá; Awa;
Borna; Murik) by early next week.

I am inclined to accept Doug's recommendations, with the exception of
Aurá. Precedent within the standard uses a state or province level
geographic qualifier, so those would be [arx] "Aruá (Rodonia State)" and
[aru] "Aruá (Amazonas State)". If they were geographically proximal to the
district level, the next choice of qualifier would be classification based
(the highest level where they are distinct).

Joan Spanne
ISO 639-3/RA
SIL International
7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd
Dallas, TX 75236
ISO639-3 at sil.org

"Phillips, Addison" <addison at amazon.com>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no

"ISO639-3 at sil.org" <ISO639-3 at sil.org>, LTRU Working Group <ltru at ietf.org>,
"ietf-languages at iana.org" <ietf-languages at iana.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Duplicate Busters: Survey #1 [bwo] and [bxx]

Joan Spanne wrote:

I agree that [bwo] and [bxx] are not duplicates in the same sense as the
Awa and Murik cases.

Accepting this situation as it stands:
[bwo] Boro (reference name), Borna (additional name)
[bxx] Borna (reference name)

is also my basis for suggesting the resolution for [aru] and [arx]  as
[aru] Arawá (reference name), Aruá (additional name)
[arx] Aruá (reference name)

In other words, can the same name be used with two different code elements
without further qualification if they are not  the reference names in both
instances?
(This is actually a question for the ISO 639 JAC, but I would like
comments from these groups, as well, as there is some crossover.)
----
<AP> The problem is that the registry just shows “Description: something”.
And the two items may or may not be near each other in the registry. For
casual users trying to find the right code element (especially with
minority languages), this might lead to mis-tagging or inappropriate
choices. The 4646bis draft, therefore, is currently requiring the editor
of 4645bis (that’d be Doug) to avoid duplicates and will impose future
limitations on registry entries to try and ensure that such confusion
doesn’t arise. It isn’t *required* that ISO 639 change descriptions too,
but it would be nice.
But what it also means (to finally answer your question) is that the same
name cannot be used for two different code elements by rule, since the
reference name status isn’t cited in the registry (it’s supposed to be
first, though).
Best Regards,
Addison

Addison Phillips